Monday, March 23, 2015

ONE YEAR...it wasn't easy but I CAN and WILL do this!

Today is my one year anniversary of my sobriety!
I remember that first day and didn't know if I was going to make it or not.  Even the smell of alcohol was hard to handle.

Then 3 months came and that was extremely hard...I thought it would get easier but no.  I was hit with emotions and feelings that I had buried and I felt like I was loosing it.  I was so angry and crying for no reason...what was wrong with me?
I wanted a drink SO bad but I KNEW if I had one sip that would be the end of what I had accomplished.    I refused to go back and start over so I kept moving forward one day at a time....one minute at a time.

Then 6 months came and I was feeling better.  But there were these questions I kept asking myself..."would I ever have fun again...would I ever be able to be myself without alcohol?"

Then 9 months came and my husband and I went to a family reunion and I was so worried that I wasn't going to be able to have fun while others were drinking BUT I did!
My oldest daughter was so proud of me and made a comment that she had not seen me have that much fun in a long time.  That made me feel so good about myself and I knew I could do this!

One year is here and I am so VERY thankful to the support of friends and family. There are still hard days but I know I can do this because I CHOOSE to.  I do NOT want to go back to who I was a year ago.
 I know my limits and I know my triggers...I won't go into a bar because I know I am not ready and it is still hard to go to events with others drinking around me BUT now I know all things are possible and I am on my way!

More to come...





No comments:

Post a Comment